Kolovraty is one of Prague´s 57 municipal districts. It is located on the south-eastern outskirts of Prague, approximately 15 km from the city centre. The district consists of two villages - Kolovraty, with the population of 2 279 inhabitants, and Lipany with 213 permanent residents. Further population growth of 1 500-2 000 people is predicted.
Kolovraty is close to the D1 motorway, exit Říčany, and is adjoining the southern part of the Prague Ring Road (currently under construction).
It lies on the commuter rail system which serves the Prague metropolitan area (line S9 between Prague and Benešov). Two Prague Public Transport bus routes (No. 265, 268) connect Kolovraty with 2 different metro lines. On a usual workday there are about 100 bus and train connections going from Kolovraty to the city centre.
The Municipality of Kolovraty has the supervising authority over a pre-school facility and a primary school (grade 1-5) located in the village. Primary school occupies two buildings, the old building, dating back to 1897, underwent a recent renovation and a brand new modern facility that was opened at the K Poště street in September 2009. Part of the building houses the local kindergarten. Art school teaching music (branch of ZUŠ Bajkalská ) is located nearby, as well as an outdoor multi-purpose school playground.
Other public amenities in Kolovraty include a school canteen, a dental surgery, a paediatrician and a GP office, post office, info centre/library, local pharmacy, fire station and a retirement home. Sport-lovers can enjoy a small fitness studio located in the gymnasium adjoining the primary school or the modern soccer field used primarily by the local soccer club (TJ Sokol Kolovraty), or they can play tennis at the state-of-the-art tennis courts.
As much as 10 children playgrounds can be located in Kolovraty, an outdoor U-ramp and climbing wall is available for teenagers. The village is surrounded by several hiking tracks where people go either hiking or cycling in summer and cross-country skiing in winter. The routes are lined with newly planted trees and currently reach the length of about 30 km.On the southern outskirts of the village you can find the St. Andrew´s Church, religious services take place once a week, usually on Sundays. Further to the south-west in the village of Lipany, another small church is worth noticing - the St. Martin´s Church. Kolovraty prides with another place of interest - the small bell tower. Even today, as back in the old times, the bell is occasionally being rung to announce the death of a local inhabitant. Another historical sight worth mentioning is the Saint Donatus statue located near the cemetery. The Empress Maria Theresa had the statue erected back in 1765 as Saint Donatus was believed to protect the harvest.